Fit Testing Fun!
This morning at 9:30 I had an employee physical. You know, height, weight, blood pressure, eye test (which I had trouble with because my contacts suck!) give some blood, TB mantoux test, lift 40 pounds, and oh yeah, a fit test.
I was fit for an N95 respirator (like the blue mask in the picture). Once you have it on, you have to put on a hood (the yellow thing) and then sucralose (tastes like powdered sugar) is sprayed into the hood. To make sure that your respirator doesn't/won't leak you have to read a little poem, turn your head side to side, look up and down, and bend over. Each of the activities listed is done repeatedly for 30 seconds while you are being continually bombarded by sucralose. If you don't taste powdered sugar, you pass. I passed. (Fit testing is not as glamourous as the picture makes it out to be either) So now, by wearing my respirator, I am protected from TB, SARS, small pox, etc.
All in all, I was given a clean bill of health, except for the fact that my resting heart rate is 50 beats per minute. The nurse was freaked out that it was so slow, and even did the count twice. Normal is 60 bpm. Oh well.
Have a Healthy Day!
I was fit for an N95 respirator (like the blue mask in the picture). Once you have it on, you have to put on a hood (the yellow thing) and then sucralose (tastes like powdered sugar) is sprayed into the hood. To make sure that your respirator doesn't/won't leak you have to read a little poem, turn your head side to side, look up and down, and bend over. Each of the activities listed is done repeatedly for 30 seconds while you are being continually bombarded by sucralose. If you don't taste powdered sugar, you pass. I passed. (Fit testing is not as glamourous as the picture makes it out to be either) So now, by wearing my respirator, I am protected from TB, SARS, small pox, etc.
All in all, I was given a clean bill of health, except for the fact that my resting heart rate is 50 beats per minute. The nurse was freaked out that it was so slow, and even did the count twice. Normal is 60 bpm. Oh well.
Have a Healthy Day!



2 Comments:
At 11:31 AM,
Anonymous said…
Where did you find the great picture of fit testing?!
Nevr a boring moment on the poodee blogspot!
At 4:39 PM,
Erica said…
You never know what you will find when you Google something. What would I do without it?
Post a Comment
<< Home